Thursday, April 28, 2011

No longer afraid to travel.

When I graduated grade 12... I wasn't really sure of the world. I wasn't really sure of my friends. I didn't know who I could depend on and who I couldn't..

That was a time I did not like moving a lot. I didn't want to change my school even though I knew it was better for me because I was scared to adjust in a new environment. I reconciled with Status Quo for most things.

However, that is not who I am inherently.. I remember in grade 3 walking up to the principal to complain about a teacher who was beating up kids for no reason. This was not normal, at least I didn't think any other grade 3 kid in my school could do such a thing and it didn't even seem like a big deal to me.

Coming back to grade 12, I decided to come to Canada after school. Somehow I felt more comfortable coming here than going to engineering college in India; For whatever reason. But even here I was 'comfortable' in Victoria. I didn't want to move even If I could, I have friends who I value and didn't want to go somewhere I wasn't sure about.

However, this has changed in the past year and I have been wondering why..

I am not afraid to go anywhere today; this is not because I have suddenly reached a new level of confidence rather it's because over the years I have worked hard to forge strong relations with family and friends. I feel If I get into trouble, a lot of people will be there for me. Some of them would falter and I am taking no one for granted, but still there is a lot of support and it makes me feel pretty good.

In many traveler books I have read or movies I have watched, people seem to make travel a way to 'free' themselves, especially the original concept of travel like a pilgrimage to Jerusalem or the Haj was based on detaching oneself from what was comfortable and venturing out.

However, for me the strength and willingness to travel or try new things is because I feel attached and not detached.

Get what I am saying? Does that make sense for you?

What gives you the strength or desire to travel?

No comments:

Post a Comment